Pages



Friday 17 October 2014

A run in the rain


So today I completed my fourth week of running, well, jogging, and it feels pretty good. I never have been a lover of gyms, and I'm a bit too rurally placed to have lots of brilliant classes on my doorstep, so I decided to try something different and, most of all, FREE. So running was it.

I'd been very lucky with the weather for my running up until this week, when I headed out to this (see picture). Very cool and atmospheric, but it meant I had to wear a hugely fetching mac to run in, with the hood up, looking down at the road to keep the driving rain out of my eyes. However, once I had got used to the dampness of the air, there was something strangely liberating about running in the rain. I suddenly felt almost rebellious, as if I was saying 'Huh, you think a little light rain is going to stop me? Not today, world' to the universe, and aside from nearly slipping over on wet leaves, I got home feeling quite exhilarated! Go me.

The onset of this definitely autumnal weather has got me thinking today, too; mainly about the adverse conditions we have faced on tour over the years. We have seen most of what the world can throw at us weather-wise (except perhaps freak floods and forest fires!) including massive snowstorms in wintry Canada, snow in Rome in April (!), ridiculous heat in Las Vegas, torrential downpours in Norway, and such high winds teamed with rain in Plymouth that we were practically blown down the street. It's funny what you remember about certain events in your life, that are not necessarily the things that seem obvious; for example, the main thing I remember about visiting Winnipeg is having icicles in my eyelashes; Ottawa is an incredible waffle with strawberries and cream, Zagreb is pizza and weird music. Strange ones, but memories all the same, and I wouldn't change them for anything.

Running has helped me to appreciate my surroundings a little bit more, and let me clear my head for just a few moments, so I guess I'll keep going with it and see what happens. I'm not going to be a marathon runner, but it's great to know that I'm DOING something to help my fitness levels, and gaining some well-needed wellbeing at the same time!

What do you do for exercise? I'd love to know.




 




No comments :

Post a Comment