Pages



Saturday 22 November 2014

Free your mind


Happy weekend, everyone. Is it just me, or are the weeks flying by at the moment?! One minute it was Monday, I had my first yoga class in a LONG time, and then turned around to find it was Saturday. Maybe I'm just getting older!

So, without wishing to risk sounding like I'm jumping on the meditation bandwagon (hmm, those two words don't seem to fit together very well, maybe 'meditation safehaven' would be better...) I chose this week to start my meditation trial. I have always had difficulty relaxing - that is, in the true sense of the word, finding that space outside my racing mind to let my muscles release, breathe a huge sigh of relief, and not focus on either things I can't control or things that haven't happened yet. I am perfectly able to sit down quietly with a cup of tea and watch the world go by, but, like many others, my brain rarely allows me to switch off and just 'be'; I am always being, but with extras.

Hence the desire to include and welcome meditation into my life.

Being a complete novice, I followed the advice of a few friends and downloaded the 'Headspace' app, having also read Andy Puddicombe's refreshing and frank book about his experiences with meditation. I needed a low-pressure, low-expectation approach, and I have to say that I'm starting to like it already. Two days in. Who knows how I will feel after the ten-day challenge is up, but the most important aspect for me is that I've got off the starting block and found that precious ten minutes.

What were those song lyrics again? 'Free your mind, and the rest will follow'? Does that mean if your mind is free the rest of your whole self will follow, or that you can lie down and chill out, take a literal rest?! Maybe it's both..

Do you meditate? I'd love to know.

See you soon x

(Photo from AboutMeditation.com)



No comments :

Post a Comment