Pages



Wednesday 4 February 2015

From Butlin's with Love..Singing with Jason!!


Hello from a dressing room at The Anvil in Basingstoke! I left London this morning to go back on the road with The Classic Rock Show, having had one of the best weeks EVER. Officially. Without doubt.

So, on 28th, 29th and 30th January I had three very cool gigs with The Classic Rock Show, in Cambridge, Cheltenham and London,  to super crowds - I thought I was fighting off a cold, so the audience warmth and encouragement really helped when I was feeling as if my voice might go! I love how crowds can push you on..

After the London show, I found my way to Crouch End with help from my dearest younger brother - who is now a fully-fledged Londoner - and prepared for Saturday. 

You see, on Saturday, I managed to fulfill a childhood dream. It was unexpected, completely brilliant and the ultimate buzz. I had a gig with someone I have loved since I was eight years old, none other than the wonderful Jason Donovan. Talk about a career highlight!! I was stepping in on backing vocals, and ended up performing that immortal duet 'Especially For You' onstage at Butlin's in Bognor Regis to a crowd of 2,500 screaming Jason fans, as well as many of his other hits (including two of my personal favourites, 'Too Many Broken Hearts' and 'When You Come Back To Me'!)

My heart was hammering on the train to Bognor Regis, as I listened to the songs over and over again, and wondered how I was going to get through; but as soon as I arrived, everyone was so kind, and I had a whale of a time. Just a touch of nerves before going onstage, and then I was fine. I don't think I made too much of a fool of myself with the man himself (I do recall telling him that it was a childhood dream of mine to sing with him, and he smiled and gave me a hug, which was nice!) and he was lovely - genuine, talented, soft-spoken and relaxed. I think he was pretty tired as he's going in to The King's Speech, opening in Chichester tonight, as Lionel Logue, and had been in technical rehearsals; the gig went swimmingly though, and he gave a superb performance. His band were also a joy.

After sampling the delights of Butlin's on a Saturday night during an 80's Big Weekend (there were some incredible costumes to be seen, and I think my highlights were Beetlejuice, Timmy Mallett and a guy dressed as Pamela Anderson in Baywatch) and dancing on down with the band in the bar, I headed to bed happy, and warmed by a real love for my job. I think the gin and tonics I'd had may have helped with the warmth too...! 

Sometimes, a career opportunity comes along that truly excites and re-ignites you, that offers unexpected moments of brilliance where everything comes together and you feel like you're floating on air. It may sound over-dramatic, but I got that on Saturday.  I thought, this is why I do what I do.

Thank you, Jason. I hope we get to sing together again one day.



No comments :

Post a Comment